msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Junior members

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Junior members
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:17:08 -0500

The primary problem with under 18 year olds is that they cannot be used in any situation that would violate the child labor or welfare rules of your home state.

Besides controlling what they can do (in Pennsylvania a minor cannot dispense fuel or use power cutting tools for instance), it often controls when they can do it or for how long.  No school nights, no response after 11 PM, no driving over 9000 pound GVW vehicles after dark, etc.  Additionally, in Pennsylvania, a minor can revoke any agreement, including a release, signed by them or their guardian on their behalf, when they turn 18.

We will permit minors to train with us but they can’t respond in the field, so we have had no applications but we have had ride-a-longs who were children of members or in fundraising events (shows) with parents present.  Our insurance policy covers all members, regardless of age.

Irv Lichtenstein

Chief of Operations

SE PA SAR