msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] acceptable horses for MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Norma Newton" <newtonrn@huxcomm.net>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] acceptable horses for MSAR
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:56:17 -0500

I agree that we do need to be selective of what horses are used in search and rescue activities. At a true search (not an exercise or practice sessions) people are focused on finding the objective...and time is of an essence! This is not the place to train a horse to behave or to expose them to the stress and tension that is present under those circumstances. (They can and DO feel our tension.)

I suggest to those that are interested in MSAR that they take their horses to other 'stressful' activities to expose them to an environment that may prepare them for MSAR training....competitive trail events, trail trials, competitive mounted orienteering events. The competitive nature of these and the outdoor settings give the horse and rider team a feel for how they will respond under different conditions. In addition, the experiences in those events can help the horse and rider team learn to communicate with each other, as well as allowing them to practice skills needed while searching.

My search mount has years of practice in these events, as well as parades, parking lots, small towns, etc. She also is not a dead head, but a thinking partner. My new hopefully replacement gelding has the temperament to become a good partner, just not the exposure or experience - he is only 6 and we have had a year to get aquainted. Neither we nor the horse learn search and rescue overnight...it takes practice. LOTS of it!

Norma Newton in Iowa

  • Re: [MSAR] acceptable horses for MSAR, Norma Newton, 10/11/2007