msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] EI or EIA - two different diseases!

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Norma Newton" <newtonrn@huxcomm.net>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] EI or EIA - two different diseases!
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:46:53 -0500

In reference to the comments about EI in South Australia, I noticed some one else mentioned EIA. Those are two different disease. EI is Equine Influenza ... unpleasant, a viral respiratory influenza. EIA is Equine Infectious Anemia....another viral infection, but totally different (what we do the Coggins test for) and a worse disease, although I wouldn't want my horses to get either one!

I am assuming since the initial post said "EI" that you have the influenza in Australia. I am sorry to hear that. The Merck Veterinary manual actually mentioned Australia as one area where it had not been found before....guess they will have to update that one!

Norma in Iowa

  • Re: [MSAR] EI or EIA - two different diseases!, Norma Newton, 10/11/2007