msar-riders - [MSAR] SAR Hiorses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Susan Wright <owright@internetpro.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] SAR Hiorses
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:48:14 -0500

Here is my two cents' worth on what traits to look for in a SAR horse:
  1. NO KICKERS!  Toward horses OR people.  You never know when someone unfamiliar with horses will walk up behind you and slap your horse on the rear to thank you for a job well done (it happened).
  2. Horses should be willing to pony and be ponied, so there should be minimal aggression toward strange horses.
  3. EASY TO CATCH!  You just never know when something will happen and your horse will find itself loose.
  4. Able to ground tie is nice, but the very least is that the horse should tie reliably and give to pressure easily.
  5. Not barn sour or buddy sour.  There will always come a time when you have to leave the group and take a different direction.  It looks bad to fight with your horse when this happens.
  6. Good loaders; in any kind of trailer, day or night.
  7. Alert and aware, but not timid. Not naturally nervous or spooky.  Not to say they can't be trained to accept most things, but you start with several strikes against you.
  8. Sound feet and legs, good hooves.

Really, all of this comes down to training for situations and a calm, even-temperament in your horse. And, yes, this does describe my horse... who is 25 years old and just naturally perfect.  I don't know what I will do when he is gone, but I know my heart will not be in starting another one.
 Susan in AL