msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Getting it together, looking at it from both sideds of the fence

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lauri Struve <jabellaboo@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Getting it together, looking at it from both sideds of the fence
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 05:25:10 -0700 (PDT)

Seems to me there are two types of volunteer.
1. the spontaneous volunteer w/ desire to help but not necessarily the training, but willing to learn on the fly and do what is within their abilities. As our LT used to say, there's a job for EVERY volunteer on a search, it may be making peanut butter sandwiches, or working with a team in the field.

2. (this is the category most on this list fall in) volunteer professionals. Those who are trained specifically for SAR. Just because your team is all volunteer, doesn't make you less of a professional, you train just as hard and work to improve your skills as if you were paid for your work.

I had a point, but darned if I know what it was.

Lauri