msar-riders - [MSAR] Six or 8 inches...crumpled...sounds like a lifesaver to me.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Six or 8 inches...crumpled...sounds like a lifesaver to me.
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 00:06:47 -0400

--0-2035317593-1179176344=:82561

Responding to:

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 12:09:10 -0700
From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Shock Absorber
To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

> 5) AND to me the most important part, the brim whether or not it is a
> straw or a Stetson acts as a shock absorber IF I fall which will
> protect my neck and head as my head might not hit the ground IF the
> brim functions correctly. Again, the helmet, has no brim and
> therefore NOT enough SHOCH ABSORBER FOR MY NECK. (key word - my.)

I realize your post is based on your opinions but you can't be serious
Karen about this one, can you? Take that brim in your hand- crumple it.
You are exerting how much pressure to do so? ten pounds, maybe less.
It's fairly easy to do. Take an average sized woman, 150lbs, add a drop
from 6-8 feet, frequently at velocity- calculate the pounds of pressure
applied to that brim. You may think it will act as shock absorber but
it
may very well be the last thing you think.

All your other reasons to wear a hat can be mitigated by the proper
helmet attire and fit. As for learning how to fall- most emergencies
don't give you time to prepare. If the worst happens and your mount
rolls over you it wont' much matter how YOU landed. If you are ejected
on the side of a mountain your tuck and roll will happen again and
again
and again as you roll down the hillside- and hopefully you meet any
rocks on the way. The list of possible situations where learning how to
fall would not be as effective as a helmet are endless.

I'll stick with my experiences which are supported by the research of
experts. I wear a seat belt and I wear a helmet. Simple enough measures
to protect myself.

Chris Pennington
____>>>

Well. Chris, NO, my post is not based on opinions. It is based on
experience and
YES, I do stand by my PREFERING THE BRIM having a brim saving my bacon
more than once. In one instance I did have a horse go over backwards and
since I had a fantastic trainer in my early days WHO TAUGHT ME HOW TO ROLL
WITH SOME OF THE PUNCHES and protect myself in case of a fall, these are the
things that saved my bacon. GOD bless that instructor for having the
wherewithall to do this. I was the only one in a class of 15 that he worked
with on doing this because largely due to my abilities of being a natural
rider. I was selected by him at the time to perform things the other
students only got to watch and see how it was done. In those days, we did
not have the benefits of all the "wonderful" equipment available today...and
we had more freedom of movement on good horses. And while most of the riders
had english riding helmets back then, I was one of the few allowed to ride
bareback and no strings! Just because we have safety equipment available,
should not make
for us to rely on the equipment to the degree it impedes our judgement
particulary in progressing in good riding. And like I said, equipment is
not always 100% failsafe.

Even bronc riders of today take schooling in riding their mounts and how
best to bail or take a fall so YES....learning how to take the bucks and
bounces....I feel are all very important and yes, what a hoot! However, I
prefer not to ride broncs and prefer to train saddle horses so as that they
do not buck EVER. Bronc riders also have various other equipment and
numerous training methods before ever getting on the bronc or bull.

And most of us while on a mission do not ride horses that are not suitable
for the task at hand so much risk is eliminated by having a well trained
horse.

While there is a ton of statistics and your so called scientific research
etc available on what a helmet can do for your head, until they can make one
that has the benefits of a brim and the concerns for the issues of the NECK,
I am not buying into the helmet totally as it has its large pros and consand
while it may be required in certain disciplines, that to is fine. Now, can
you tell me some statistics regarding NECK injuries and where a helmet could
have helped in those? AS afterall. WHIPLASH can be a permanant lifelong
problem. And some of us are prone to whiplash even when we sneeze. And that
helmet, it will not protect my neck without a brim, nor will it take care of
my pelvis, hips or knees, shoulders, wrists or any part inbetween. So again,
I say learning how to rock and roll with the punches.. will help you save
your head and other parts as well.

And Chris, a helmet would not have saved Christopher Reeves from the type
of injuries he received.

My instructor taught me how to bail off of a runnining horse. He also
taught tuck and roll to avoid hitting heads on the ground. While a tuck and
roll may also end up in a dislocated shoulder, you will save your head.
Unfortuneately and yes, I agree, all accidents are just that and sometimes we
have little time to muster up a way to protect ourselves.

Regretably my cowboy hat will not save my pelvis from hitting a rock on the
way down from a hillside and so while we all enjoy the helmet issues immensly
(i guess some of us are just ofrever bored!) But anyway, these are the risks
we take while we ride horses in any venture.

May I further suggest to you then to go to a chiropractor and ask them
about neck injuries.
Or if you prefer a surgeon, specialized in injuries of the neck. Ask them
first how they are treated and then ask them about the permanent long term
after effects! All I am Im saying is that perhaps if that helmet also had a
brim it would save the necks of many a rider too. But here again, I have yet
to find a manufacturer that has a good cowboy hat "helmet" yet alone one to
fit the needs of an adult with a kid sized head. So until they have built a
better mousetrap fro my head, I am sticking to my Stetsons.

Lastly, It is such a shame we are all living in a world where lawsuits seem
to be the suit of choice in protecting ourselves in some of what we do.

Well, anyway, you asked, so, there is my peice!

Karen Nesbitt.

PS - And Chris, and you will be happy to know though, I ALWAYS wear a
seatbelt when I drive. And even though wearing one will also be a risk in
dying in an accident. While in the majority of states it is the law, even if
it was not the law, I am most comfortable while using one and feel it is for
the better in driving. Perhaps, there is one place we should be made to wear
a helmet while driving. After all, we can stil become ejected while driving
and get tossed down those long cliffs and ravenes and God forbid we land on
rocks and run smack dab into those lousy trees! I beleive we are more prone
to having more accidents while driving autos than most of us are on
horseback. And Chris, I can remember one autoaccident I was in where a
seatbelt with shoulder strap saved my miserable life, however it did nothing
for my neck and to this day, I wished that day I was wearing my cowboy hat
with a brim. I repeat....WHIPLASH IS FOREVER and had I been wearing that
lousy 5-6
or meybe an 8 inch brim IT could have done wonders in that instance for me
that day and as well pains suffering still TODAY. So as for all those
statistics, I am a LIVING ONE. However I do not always beleive the
manufacturers and I will stick to having those 5-6-or 8 inches crumpled as
they have been LIVESAVERS FOR ME.

May you always ride a good horse and may you alwasy have a safe ride. GOD
BLESS!

---------------------------------
--0-2035317593-1179176344=:82561

13 May 2007 12:09:10 -0700<BR>From: Pennbo's &lt;<SPAN
id=lw_1179168340_29>pennbo@verizon.net</SPAN>&gt;<BR>Subject: Re: [MSAR]
Shock Absorber<BR>To: Mounted search and rescue &lt;<SPAN
id=lw_1179168340_30>msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org</SPAN>&gt;<BR>Message-ID:
&lt;<SPAN
id=lw_1179168340_31>46476256.6050102@verizon.net</SPAN>&gt;<BR>Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed<BR><BR>&gt; 5) AND to me the
most important part, the brim whether or not it is a <BR>&gt; straw or a
Stetson acts as a shock absorber IF I fall which will <BR>&gt; protect my
neck and head as my head might not hit the ground IF the <BR>&gt; brim
functions correctly.&nbsp; Again, the helmet, has no brim and <BR>&gt;
therefore NOT enough SHOCH ABSORBER FOR MY NECK.&nbsp; (key word -
my.)<BR><BR><BR>I realize your post is based on your opinions but you can't
be serious <BR>Karen about this one, can you? Take that
brim in your hand- crumple it. <BR>You are exerting how much pressure to do
so? ten pounds, maybe less. <BR>It's fairly easy to do. Take an average sized
woman, 150lbs, add a drop <BR>from 6-8 feet, frequently at velocity-
calculate the pounds of pressure <BR>applied to that brim. You may think it
will act as shock absorber but <BR>it <BR>may very well be the last thing you
think.<BR><BR>All your other reasons to wear a hat can be mitigated by the
proper <BR>helmet attire and fit. As for learning how to fall- most
emergencies <BR>don't give you time to prepare. If the worst happens and your
mount <BR>rolls over you it wont' much matter how YOU landed. If you are
ejected <BR>on the side of a mountain your tuck and roll will happen again
and <BR>again <BR>and again as you roll down the hillside- and hopefully you
meet any <BR>rocks on the way. The list of possible situations where learning
how to <BR>fall would not be as effective as a helmet are
endless.<BR><BR>I'll stick
with my experiences which are supported by the research of <BR>experts. I
wear a seat belt and I wear a helmet. Simple enough measures <BR>to protect
experience and</div> <div>&nbsp;YES, I do stand by my PREFERING THE BRIM
having a brim saving my bacon more than once.&nbsp;&nbsp; In one instance I
did have a horse go over backwards and since I had a fantastic trainer in my
early days WHO TAUGHT ME HOW TO ROLL WITH SOME OF&nbsp;THE PUNCHES and
protect myself in&nbsp;case of&nbsp;a fall, these are the things that saved
my bacon.&nbsp; GOD bless that instructor for having the wherewithall to do
this.&nbsp; I was the only one in a class of 15 that he worked with on doing
this because largely due to my abilities of being a natural rider.&nbsp; I
was selected by him at the time to perform things the other students only got
watch and see how it was done.&nbsp; In those days, we did not have the
benefits of all the "wonderful" equipment available today...and we had more
freedom of movement on good horses. And while most of the riders had english
riding helmets back then, I was one of the few allowed to ride bareback and
no strings!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Just because we have safety equipment
available, should not make for us to rely on the equipment to the degree it
impedes our judgement&nbsp;particulary in&nbsp;progressing in good
riding.&nbsp;&nbsp; And like I said, equipment is not always 100%
schooling in riding their mounts and how best to bail or take a fall&nbsp;so
YES....learning how to take the bucks and bounces....I feel are all very
important and yes, what a hoot!&nbsp; However, I prefer not to ride broncs
and prefer to train saddle horses so as that they do not buck EVER.&nbsp;
Bronc riders also have various other
equipment and numerous training methods before ever getting on the bronc or
ride horses that are not suitable for the task at hand so much risk is
research etc available on what a helmet can do for your head, until they can
make one that has the benefits of a brim and the concerns for the issues of
the NECK, I am not buying into the helmet totally as it has its large pros
and consand while it may be required in certain disciplines, that to is
fine.&nbsp; Now, can you tell me some statistics regarding NECK injuries and
where a helmet could have helped in those?&nbsp; AS afterall. WHIPLASH can be
a permanant lifelong problem.&nbsp; And some of us are prone to whiplash even
when we sneeze.&nbsp; And that helmet, it will not protect my neck without a
brim, nor
will it take care of my&nbsp;pelvis, hips or knees, shoulders, wrists or any
part inbetween.&nbsp; So again, I say learning how to rock and roll with the
punches.. will help you save your head and other parts as well.</div>
also taught tuck and roll to avoid hitting heads on the ground.&nbsp; While a
tuck and roll may also end up in a dislocated shoulder, you will save your
head.&nbsp; Unfortuneately and yes, I agree, all accidents are just that and
sometimes we have little time to muster up a way to protect ourselves.</div>
hitting a rock on the way down from a hillside and so while we all enjoy the
helmet issues immensly (i guess some of us are just ofrever bored!)&nbsp;
But anyway, these are the risks we take while we ride horses in any
go to a chiropractor and ask them about neck injuries.</div> <div>Or if you
prefer a surgeon, specialized in injuries of the neck.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Ask
them first how they are treated and then ask them about the permanent long
term after effects!&nbsp; All I am Im saying is that perhaps if that helmet
also had a brim it would save the necks of many a rider too.&nbsp; But here
again, I have yet to find a manufacturer that has a good cowboy hat "helmet"
yet alone one to fit the needs of an adult with a kid sized head.&nbsp; So
until they have built a better mousetrap fro my head, I am sticking to my
all living in a world where lawsuits seem to be the suit of choice in
to know though, I ALWAYS wear a seatbelt when I drive.&nbsp; And even though
wearing one will also be a risk in dying in an accident.&nbsp; While in the
majority of states it is the law, even if it was not the law, I am most
comfortable while using one and feel it is for the better in driving.&nbsp;
Perhaps, there is one place we should be made to wear a helmet while
driving.&nbsp; After all, we can stil become ejected while driving and get
tossed down those long cliffs and ravenes and&nbsp;God forbid we land on
rocks and run smack dab into those lousy trees!&nbsp;&nbsp; I beleive we are
more prone to having more accidents while driving autos than most of us are
on horseback.&nbsp; And Chris, I can remember one&nbsp; autoaccident I was in
where a seatbelt with shoulder strap saved my miserable life, however it did
nothing for
my neck and to this day, I wished that day I was wearing my cowboy hat with
a brim.&nbsp; I repeat....WHIPLASH IS FOREVER and had I been
wearing&nbsp;that lousy 5-6 or meybe an 8 inch brim&nbsp; IT could have done
wonders in that instance for me that day and as well pains suffering still
TODAY.&nbsp; So as for all those statistics, I am a LIVING ONE.&nbsp; However
I do not always beleive the manufacturers and I will stick to having those
5-6-or 8 inches crumpled as they have been LIVESAVERS FOR ME.</div>
have a safe ride. GOD BLESS!</div><p>&#32;

<hr size=1>Now that's room service! <a
href="http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0wNw--
">Choose from over 150,000 hotels <br>in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo!
Travel</a> to find your fit.
--0-2035317593-1179176344=:82561--