msar-riders - [MSAR] Helmet safety

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Helmet safety
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 13:05:01 -0600

I think sometimes the point of a helmet gets lost in discussion. The
helmet is not an alternative to falling when you don't hit your head.
The helmet is there for when you *do* hit your head, despite all your
best efforts and training to avoid that.

I am all for falling safely. So much better than the alternative.
But it does not always happen that way.

One key principle of risk management is the awareness of contributing
factors. All too often after a bad accident we recognize multiple
things done wrong or gone wrong that contributed to the severity of
the accident. Wearing a helmet is one of the easiest things a rider
can do to reduce the contributing factors.