msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS Tip

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wendy" <sar@summitgoats.com>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS Tip
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:57:46 -0700

Were you under dense cover?  This can cause inaccuracy in some GPS units.

Were you all on the same datum?  And using the same coordinate format?  (even if you are all on lat long, it could be dd mm sss or dd mm.mmm, etc.

If you had a consistent amount of error, it was probably a datum issue.  You need to set the datum to match *before* you enter your coordinates.  Any coordinates in the gps when you change the datum will be converted to the new datum (ie. They will show different coordinate numbers, but if you go to them they will be the exact same patch of earth as before.)

If you use a computer to download/upload your coordinates you can also avoid the datum-mix-up problem.

Wendy– NREMT-P

Breeze – SAR, HIC, CGC and RANCH dog.

SummitPack Goats  www.summitpackgoats.com

It's not what we don't know that gets us in trouble, but what we are absolutely sure of that simply isn't true.