msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NAIS and SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NAIS and SAR
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 19:44:08 -0500

Every pleasure horse owner in the country is fighting this system. That is
why it is now voluntary. As interpreted in Pennsylvania (which automatically
issued Premises ID to every milk producer, breeder, vet, chicken coop, etc.)
only the final destination has to be reported. This means if I ride off the
property where I board to a public park across the driveway I may not have
moved the animal. However, if go camping I have definitely moved.

This may be the only reason to fight horse slaughter for food in the US-- if
your animal is not in the food chain NAIS may not apply.
The lawyers are going crazy over what is voluntary or required particularly
as an opt out program is now starting for premises but there is no guarantee
that opting out removes your premise from the data base.

It is a system that was not designed and has no requirement to design to.