msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Fwd: Request for opinions on the best height for a mount

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Fwd: Request for opinions on the best height for a mount
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:36:50 -0700

Great topic! We have discussed this quite a bit over the last few years as new riders join us looking for mounts and veteran riders look for replacements. The discussion about terrain is super important as well. We've had a few have to get different MSAR mounts because their's were too big. A draft or draft mix just isn't as flexible in our terrain of steep narrow trails, low overhanging crowded trees, and large rock piles. They often have great quiet minds but their size rules them out for "our" best use. I'd say that right now the average size horse in our unit is probably 15' or 15'1"- with some a bit over and some a bit under. Our members range from about 5'4" to 6"4.
Jorene wrote:

Another issue for selection is natural walking speed. For example, if everyone else on the team has a faster walking gaited horse, showing up with a slower moving non-gaited can be a problem by either causing early fatigue in the non-gaited horse trying to keep up, or causing difficulty with the gaited horses continually being asked to wait for the slower moving horse.

Oh boy is this true! About half our members now have gaited horses. I'm looking for a gaited horse but it's not imperative as my Morgans have fast easy walks and keep up wihtout effort. However it's important for the commander or whoever is doing field assignments to know the 'teams' well enough to assign like with like in this aspect- for all the reasons Jorene mentions. Add that to knowing the talents of the human half makes it necessary that the commander know their members very well for best match ups.

Chris Pennington