msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] More helmet info + reflective tape

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] More helmet info + reflective tape
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 02:06:43 -0400

Helmets are not required in PA for licensed motorcyclists over 18, who have
taken a safety program or been licensed for 2 or more years. They are not
required for equestrians by law but most sanctioning organizations require
SEI/ASTM headgear at all events and it is SE PA SAR SOG that you wear an
approved helmet on the job.

The first helmet I destroyed was a Caliente. I was trying to train my
current horse to stand while mounting [at his age 3] and the non-fitted
saddle slipped. The helmet stayed put long enough (it was not buckled) to
take the impact of a concrete water well head cover. The shell was spidered
and most of the cracks went all the through. Hospital visit confirmed no
head problems but I did dislocate a finger which I had reset well enough
that the orthopedist handed me a finger splint and said wear this for a few
days.

The next was a Troxel EQ that took a branch over the ear on the foam.
Cracked a chunk of foam off. That one was under warranty so Troxel paid
about half for a new one.

The last Troxel EQ took a stick through the shell at about the crown, making
a nice clean, 1/4 inch penetration most of the way through the foam.

The current one has survived to turn from white to some other color. I also
have a solid black International that was a gift and one spare Troxel in the
locker that needs the inside netting reglued from age and lack of use. I
keep my helmet, chaps and saddle bags in my vehicle. My horse's tack (all
custom fitted) is at the barn. He is a 17h-2" black Percheron, now 19 years
old or so.

One last step-- put reflective tape or stick ons on your helmet, especially
for after dark or in reduced visibility. I use Omaha (ambulance) Orange
saddle bags with reflective stick ons as well. It seems that no matter what
I wear, including a traffic vest, it is the saddle bags and helmet tape that
are seen. Depending on your organization's rules using reflective titles
that are appropriate-- EMT, Paramedic, Rescue, may also save time in the
field. Buy these from fire and police supply catalogs, they are cheaper than
horse catalogs. Same for trailer signage. I got four 12" high pre-spaced
letter sets (HORSES) for less than the smallest decal you can buy through a
trailer shop. Some local sign shop may be even cheaper.