msar-riders - [MSAR] Request for Assistance

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Sarah Meredith" <sarah_jane_meredith@hotmail.com>
  • To: MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Dan_Swearingen@co.deschutes.or.us, kk7smd@bendbroadband.com
  • Subject: [MSAR] Request for Assistance
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:05:23 -0700

I'm sending out a request for assistance regarding a SAR horse team member for Deschutes County Sheriff Search & Rescue in Bend, Oregon.

I am a member of the DCSSAR and have worked with Kerri Raymond who is a dedicated member of our Horse Team. She has been an active member with her horse "Joker" who is six years old and very intelligent and willing. Joker has spent countless hours in training and on missions for us. Last year he willingly carried a paramedic in to assist an injured rider on a remote trail. He happily sidepassed up to the fire truck and accepted the man behind Kerri medical bag and all and carried him calmly in to treat the patient. Joker is a valued member of our search and rescue organization.

Recently, Joker suffered life-threatening colic and required emergency surgery at the Bend Equine Clinic. Kerri was quoted $10,000 and the clinic has been able to defray some of that cost through application for a grant. The surgery was a success and Joker is recovering well and should be going home soon. However, Kerri is overwhelmed with the over $5,000 necessary to pay for the surgery.

As you well know we are all volunteers and put in 100's of hours in training and time away from our families as well as the expense of equipment. We have put out a request to all of our SAR members to assist with whatever donations possible and I would like to extend that request to members of other MSAR teams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Donations may be sent to: Deschutes County Sheriff's Office
Attn: SAR, Inc.
P.O. Box 5722
Bend, OR 97708-5722

Any donations sent to SAR, Inc. are tax deductible. PLEASE WRITE "JOKER" ON NOTATION AREA OF ANY CHECKS. Thank you so much!

  • [MSAR] Request for Assistance, Sarah Meredith, 07/03/2006