msar-riders - [MSAR] WA State SAR Conference / Training invitation, Washington state

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] WA State SAR Conference / Training invitation, Washington state
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:47:57 -0700

From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
How was the Washington state SAR conference last month? [...]
Now would be a good time to make a pitch for MSAR-specific
training, [...]

Since nobody else responded to Una's question yet, I'll toss in my observations ...
The WA State SAR Conference was very successful and over 1000 people attended. Kudos to King County for a job well done as the 2006 host county. Overall I heard nothing but positive feedback from attendees on the quality of the classes. Several speakers who are nationally recognized in their SAR specialty and speak all over the country were there, so I got to see some old friends and make new ones.

There was very good attendance at all my MSAR classes by mounted folks and management, and I was flattered to hear from several folks - including some management - that they considered my classes the best they attended at the large conference. MSAR classes were focused on expanding horizons for MSAR versatility while educating management on more effective use of the resource.

Pierce County (the location of next year's conference) is already working on the 2007 conference, including pre-planning for more extensive mounted classes ...with a purpose and focus. A great suggestion was the potential for using a train-the-trainer format for certain classes for each county MSAR and management to take back to their own county. TTT for MSAR may be included in pre-conference and repeated during the conference ... concepts still under development by Pierce County ... but I did promise to return to teach in 2007. :)

I highly recommend MSAR folks who are close enough to mark their calendars for next year's Washington State SAR Conference May 18 - 20, 2007 (pre-conference training beginning May 14th) at Crystal Mountain <http://www.crystalmt.com/>.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar