msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR and other SAR skills

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR and other SAR skills
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:52:18 -0700

Ian, although I have spent a fair amount of time with your team,
I have almost no idea what are the major unmet SAR needs in your
normal area of operation. That's where I would focus attention.

In my local area, the highest priority skill sets probably are:
licensed ham radio operator, backcountry motor vehicles of any
kind (bike, ATV, truck), wilderness first responder, excellent
cross-country navigational skills and (most important!) ability
to perform hasty and/or night searches.

Una