msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] "ICE for Rescuers"

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Hal Sikes" <halsikes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion list for Search and Rescue" <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>, "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] "ICE for Rescuers"
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:55:25 -0700

When I made the original posting re: the Washington Post article ICE for
Rescuers, I thought this was a pretty simple, straight forward idea that
could benefit not only the John and Jane Does and their families, but also
the LE and Emergency Services personnel that would have to deal with the
situation. From the git go, I stated:
Although probably limited in the number of times it would be used in
SAR,
the impact for other emergency service responders is HUGH. Well worth
reading and thinking about implementing in each of our SAR arenas.
In retrospect, I wish I had omitted "implementing in each of our SAR arenas"
as instead
of thinking of this in terms of the Rest of the World of Emergency Services,
some have chosen to limit their thinking to the pros & cons of the SAR only
world where we
generally deal with a MINIMAL number of subjects per incident.......but in
the World of Today that could change at a moments notice. Whether activated
as part of a disaster plan or not, that screwed up part of our head called
the Rescuer Personality would not let any of us sit on the sideline when our
training\skills could make a difference to someone in need.

Is it a perfect idea or solution? Absolutely not. Does it have some
drawbacks? Definitely. But on the other hand, it certainly seems to be
drawing a lot of positive world wide inquiries. Perhaps, like the paramedic
that came up with the idea, these folks are tired of having to view
everything as a nail because the only tool they have is a hammer.

Privacy Objection: If you don't like it, don't use it. It's a personal
decision and I fully respect your right to reject the idea.

Acronym Objection: Yes, ICS stress plain language. But ICS, POD, PLS etc are
ALL acronyms and you both learned and use them anyway.

Privacy Objection #2: We only look in the wallets in the hospital. Why?
Because even tho that's where most of the cash is normally kept, that's
where you EXPECT to find emergency contact information. And if urban
EMS/ERs aren't going to look in cell phones, it's
going to be a hard sell to get popular action - Up to now no one has
proposed\thought of having Emergency Contacts CLEARLY identified in the cell
phone registry - and the popular action is going to be because of the cell
phone owner, not the urban EMS/ERs.

Is Better Kept in the Wallet: So what's wrong with having it in more than
just the
wallet? Or have you NEVER filled out that page in your Day Timer\Day
Planner?

Personally I don't think any of the objections I've read would mean a thing
to the family
wanting to know what's happened to their loved one.

I'll get off my soap box now so I can update my Cell, PDA, Day Timer and
Wallet.

Hal Sikes