msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] response to Lyne Peterson regarding Mounting Patrol TestingQuestion

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ian Vowles" <Ian@modric.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] response to Lyne Peterson regarding Mounting Patrol TestingQuestion
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:25:48 -0700

If you have a situation where you are no longer following clearly defined
tracks visible from the saddle, and assuming the person has some basic
tracking knowledge it is likely you would need to dismount to work from the
last track to attempt to locate the next. Equally if you are casting around
and locate a track you cannot measure it from horseback - there is a need to
dismount and properly measure and draw the track for transmission to your
supervisor or whatever the SOP's are for the mission.

The same dismounting holds true for the need to sometimes mark a clue ( flag
it ) or track etc.

Ian Vowles
Mounted Rescue, Colorado.