msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Author seeking Stories

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Ian" <Ian@modric.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Author seeking Stories
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:02:54 -0700

The below author contacted us for stories - figured amongst the SAR
community there should be some epic survival ones known. Please
disseminate for max coverage to other groups.

Ian Vowles
Mounted Rescue

400 Ranch Place
Pagosa Springs
Colorado 81147

Tel: 970-731-4062
Fax: 970-731-4064

www.mountedrescue.com

Here is the mesage - her email is : Caroline Allen
mailto:iancaro@dircon.co.uk

Dear Ian

I am a UK researcher currently working on a book entitled "The Longest
Walk" which is due for publication, by Reader's Digest, next summer in
the USA and then the UK and Australia.

It is a social/oral history of people who have made extraordinary
journeys on foot. The emphasis of the book is on those who have had to
do this as a result of persecution, enforced exile, to escape unjust
imprisonment or to survive disasters and accidents in peacetime and in
war.

The book is a serious rather then sensational account of those who
undertook such difficult journeys and Amnesty International are being
approached to write the forward. Although the focus of the book is on
the walk itself the background as to why they had to take the journey is
also vital.

There are to be 21 stories from around the world dating from world war
II to the present day. We would like as many of these stories as
possible to be told first hand with personal accounts and maps showing
the journey in detail. One of the chapters looks at survival and it is
with regards to this that I am contacting you. Have you been involved
with rescuing people who have become lost or stranded and who have then
had to walk through difficult and dangerous terrain/situations in order
to survive. If so do you think that they might be interested in
re-telling their story for the book?

The person's involvement would be an interview/s about their story
either in person, via the phone, questionnaire or e-mail depending on
location and suitability to those involved. We are not able to give
financial reimbursement to contributors but the book will include
contact details and information about the organisations relevant to the
person's story. We will also allow approval of the text and give
contributors copies of the book.

I hope that you might be able to help with this project and I look
forward to hearing from you. I have to try to finalise the book's
content by Christmas and so would be very grateful to hear from you
before then if you think that you might know people who would like to be
involved.

Yours sincerely

Caroline Allen, researcher

  • RE: [MSAR] Author seeking Stories, Ian, 12/10/2004