msar-riders - RE: [MSAR] Mares in MSAR / Stallions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "L. S." <obsar1864@hotmail.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [MSAR] Mares in MSAR / Stallions
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:53:09 -0600

For those with mares and interest in using a marble... this question was posed in the AAEP weekly newsletter, It's pretty interesting.

Last issue we asked:

I have a mare that is typically difficult to train this time of year due to "exaggerated" spring estrus symptoms. My vet has suggested, as an alternative to Regumate, the insertion of a sterilized marble into my mare’s uterus. I am concerned about risking her future fertility, as I may want to breed her in a few years. What are your thoughts on this procedure regarding efficacy and long-term fertility?

The answer is:

This technique was described at the national AAEP (equine practitioner) meeting about two years ago. You induce heat or wait on a heat cycle. When the cervix opens, then you induce ovulation. After you prep the mare’s vulva, you then insert a sterile marble. This simulates a conceptus for the mare. The marble is non-irritating, if done correctly, is sterile, and far safer for the future of the mare than progesterone implants (used in feedlot cattle). Besides the fact that Regumate is messy, expensive, has to be given every day, and is not a good idea for a human female to handle since it absorbs through the skin. As a side note, it is a very common practice to breed racing mares, get them pregnant and continue to train them for racing for 3-5 months after they conceive...but in answer to your question, the marble idea was adequately researched and a common practice in many reproductive practices. Benjamin Espy, DVM, Lexington, KY

  • RE: [MSAR] Mares in MSAR / Stallions, L. S., 03/19/2004