msar-riders - [MSAR] air scenting horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: LISA KETTERER <gvrtrainer@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR INFO <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] air scenting horse
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:44:15 -0800 (PST)

Terry,
I've just read your book on air scenting horse. Since I have studied a couple dog --training books already, It was alot alike. But my personal opinion, even tho I've never trained a dog to track, I would think it would be easier to teach it to a horse. And I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
I've rode all my life and am very in tune to horses alerting to deer, people, etc... while out riding. Have you found any particulat treat that the horses love to go after more? or just use some grain?
  From you web-site and book you mention your testing / practices. But have you got a chance yet to put it to the real test yet and find someone?
I got the oppertunity today to get involved with our state corrections tracking teams--monthly training and they let me help search for a couple guys. Once I found their tracks and was following them, there was a couple times my horse alerted on them up ahead--even tho they were too far away for me to see them at all. but I've rode this horse for enough years that I know his alert signs. So I'm anxious to see if I can get him to "play hide and seek" --and he is a sucker for sweet mix.
  Looking forward from hearing from you or anyone who has done some air scenting with their horses.

Lisa Ketterer
Fremont Co.
Colorado
MSAR