msar-riders - [MSAR] Re:Night Searches MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 14, Issue 3

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: bbob <bbob@northlink.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re:Night Searches MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 14, Issue 3
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:58:38 -0700

At 10:06 AM 3/5/04, you wrote:
As much as you may hate to hear it, sometimes it is simply safer to resume the search at first light.

Tomi' Finkle
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team
State of Maryland

I am in complete agreement. Our primary objective is to not make the situation any worse than it already is. We accomplish our primary objective by being prepared in everything from proper maintenance of our tow-vehicles and trailers, conditioning and training ourselves and horses, and by recognizing our limitations in order to avoid redirecting resources from the search in order to extricate an injured rider or injured horse from the search area.

Night searches are unavoidable but (at least in the rugged terrain of north-central Arizona) should be limited to familiar trails and terrain and extremely urgent circumstances, and even then, it may be prudent to leave the horses in base-camp and search on foot until first light.

Roger Eads
Coordinator
Yavapai County Sheriff's Mounted Unit

  • [MSAR] Re:Night Searches MSAR-riders Digest, Vol 14, Issue 3, bbob, 03/05/2004