msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR in Technical situations

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR in Technical situations
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:31:53 -0700

Jorene, we have trained a few of our horses to pull/drag. They can actually pull a travois or help a rescue team pull someone up a steep ravine.
Great for low angle rescue! Have you tried using those horses as rope anchors (stand still while someone does a rappel/ascend) instead of pulling?

Do you use the Native American travois method, or use a wheeled litter, or ???  I've often thought in the right kind of terrain a modified Stokes with tough rear wheels with some kind of shock absorber system would be useful for MSAR. You can use a pack saddle with long forks for a pack animal to carry the litter, but that can be a long way up to lift someone. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,