msar-riders - [MSAR] Some thoughts in response to Jorene's request for MSAR uses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Bdurham05201@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Some thoughts in response to Jorene's request for MSAR uses
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 20:55:59 EDT

I have been wanting to respond to Vol.8 issue 12 sooner, but have been quite busy. Here are a few thoughts I've had after reading comments and questions over the last week or 2.  Hope it helps some, I really enjoy reading others comments.

It seems obvious that a mounted search team is an excellent choice for a "hasty search".  Anyone who has NASAR training, will recognize how a horse team would fit the need perfectly.

One subscriber stated they had some problems getting the "powers to be" to trust them to do a good/safe job on some searches. I believe it was making reference to the concern of damaging evidence. We over came that problem by going to the "powers to be" and requested they do our "Preserving the Crime Scene" training.  It is common in our area for the Police Depts' to instruct EMS and Fire Depts in crime scene preservation, so we asked them to fashion the training to "outdoor" crime scenes.  Shows our respect for them and their expertise, and let's them know we are "trained" properly.  Not to mention meeting some of the people from other agencies and building rapport.

Our search team has been in existence for 10 years.  We have 35 members now (5 are strictly ground support).  We have never had less than 25 members.  We are in south western Ohio.  Our first responsibility is to our local State Park "East Fork" which has over 10,600 acres.  Because the park rangers are commissioned police officers they can and do, under the state's mutual aid contract "loan us" to any police agency that requests us.  Likewise other state parks have requested our services.  We are incorporated and are covered by workman's compensation when we have activities.  We have annual required training of Preserving the Crime Scene, First Aid/CPR, Orienteering, Search Techniques, Formation Riding and participation in a Mock Search.  In addition several of our members have FUNSAR certification.  When we first reached our goal in minimum training the Park Manager sent a letter to our Counties Police and Sheriff's Association describing our team and our accomplishments, then the doors slowly opened.

We respond to lost and overdue hikers, hunters campers, etc.  Because we are NASAR trained we also offer to assist on foot when it is necessary.  We have an agreement with our local Animal Control Office to assist in rescue and/or housing of livestock as they are not equipped to do so, but still have the responsibility by law to provide that service.

We are available to our local Emergency Management Agency as well.

We have assisted a community on the Ohio River in the flood of '96 by riding on the perimeter of the flood waters and turning would be gawkers or looters away.

We found a runaway horse who escaped his rider when they tried to enter the water at a treacherous location on a lake shore, the first horse drowned.

We found a hunter who had succumbed to a heart attack when helicopters with heat sensor device and K-9's failed.

We found a female hunter 8 hours after she got separated from her father and brother.  She had a sprained ankle.  Again the helicopter and dog were out and had not had any luck.  An interesting tactic searchers use "calling" to the lost subject.  I think the police officers thought we were silly until I radioed back in that I heard her calling back to us, gave coordinates and rescuers got to her approx. 1 hour after the mounted team arrived on the scene.  After the first officer arrived on the scene he was very grateful when our riders showed him how to access her by trail instead of via the briar patch he first fought his way through.

No one is allowed to join our team unless they are willing to be a part of ground support also.  Our Ground Support sets up "our" Command Post (often our Command Post becomes the "Event Command Post").  Ground Support also
keeps a log sheet of who is present, who is on which team (we prefer teams of 4), they log radio traffic and liaison between us and the Officer in Charge and/or other search teams.  If we are out for a long time they will secure water for the horses if it is not readily available at that particular location and they will round up food for the searchers when necessary.

Each member is required to carry certain equipment (about 20 items) such as wire cutters, pocket knife, emergency blanket, rope, canteen/water bottle, gloves, etc.  In addition the team has 6 medical packs, each team is assigned a med pack before they leave the Command Post.  We also assign responsibilities, team leader, log keeper (written and sometimes pictures), one person takes on the initial responsibility of medical person to evaluate and start treatment if needed.

We try to keep a variety of County, State and Park maps available.   I have had deputies lay their maps aside and use ours.

We don't get called out a lot, it comes in spurts.  However, training and PR are important.  Comments or questions are welcome.
Brenda Durham, Coordinator
East Fork State Park Volunteer Mounted Search & Rescue