msar-riders - [MSAR] Gear in vehicle (Was: MSAR in SAR and disasters)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Gear in vehicle (Was: MSAR in SAR and disasters)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:09:14 -0600

In my vehicle I keep a snow shovel, 6-man tent in stuff sack,
thermal sleeping pad, sleeping bag and extra wool blankets in
one large stuff sack (ex-laundry bag), tarp, and 3 20-gallon
tubs with snap-on lids.

Tub 1 for the vehicle: extra quart engine oil, antifreeze, tow
cable, fold-up steel wheel blocks, jumper cable, air compressor,
manual for the trailer brake controller, roll of paper towels.

Tub 2 for camping: 2 small camp stoves (Peak 1, Whisperlite),
fuel bottles, stove repair kit, meal kit (enamel cup, bowl,
spoon etc.), tent stakes, small sledge hammer, folding shovel,
roll of TP, small pot, etc.

Tub 3 for SAR: full set of extra winter backcountry clothing,
1st aid and wilderness first responder manuals, field guide to
plants toxic to horses, spare compass, supply of large zip-lock
bags (for protecting maps in the field) and (most important of
all) MAPS, MAPS, MAPS and MORE MAPS.

So far this year, I have spent 6 nights in the vehicle; I can
lay out a comfy bed without rearranging any of the gear.

The vehicle, a 3/4 ton Suburban, has permanent seating with
seatbelts for 6 (I love the fold-away 2nd bench), plus 3 more
if given notice to install the 3rd bench before I leave home.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico

  • [MSAR] Gear in vehicle (Was: MSAR in SAR and disasters), Una Smith, 10/01/2003