msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Searching at Night?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Paul Fleming <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Searching at Night?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:26:25 -0700

Vince,

My unit conducts searches at night as a matter of routine. We make no distinction as to time of day. Here in western Washington we only have a couple of months of nice weather where one can remain out all night and not have to worry to much.

The two things that get us out after dark the most are light clad Alzheimers walk aways and lost day hikers. The real danger is hypothermia so it is necessary we find out subjects as soon as possible.

Things to consider in night operations.

*Night searches are seem more urgent. Use your normal procedures, conduct business as usual at a slightly slower pace.
*Night searches require more people.
*Your probability of detection is much lower.
*Your search sectors have to be much smaller.
*Clue detection is almost pure luck.
*Your operations people need to closely monitor the condition of your teams. Fatigue will not
only degrade their performance but also can also endanger them.
*When the search is over ensure your people are capable of driving home. This is a real problem on a short search less then 24 hours. After the first night rest periods get factored in.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Paul Fleming
PMSAR