msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Non-mounted Ops questions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Non-mounted Ops questions
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 01:25:47 EST

Responding to Chris' question about mounted members' participation in non-mounted missions, for my unit (NWHSAR) in the Seattle area, we have 6 to 8 members who regularly respond to evidence searches.  A couple have also answered calls to assist in litter carry out, however we usually wait to be included in a callout, assuming that if we weren't called, the conditions are not conducive to using horses.

In the past we've had to beg and plead with members to participate in evidence searches.  It's strictly up to the individual to respond, but we've recently rewritten our bylaws to have stronger requirements for activity.  We hope this helps encourage more participation on searches where the horse can't be used.

Our parent SAR organization has several specialized units including 4x4, trackers and dogs.  Mounted unit members are free to cross train with those other groups, but so far I haven't seen much interest on the part of our folks.  My impression is most riders resist anything which is going to take away riding time.

Barbara
Northwest Horseback Search & Rescue
King Co WA