msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Columbia Shuttle

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Columbia Shuttle
  • Date: Wed Feb 12 10:34:00 2003

Julie Hammond <hammond4h@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Please note that I am a member of a Search and Rescue group in Texas.
>
>We are not allowed to volunteer our services and it is required that
>we be called upon by the proper law enforcement agency.

And many of you have been called, I am sure. But, in Texas, what
is a proper law enforcement agency? And would the agency know how
or where to call on resources outside their own jurisdiction?

Generally, out-of-area units are called in only to relieve local
units. Given enough advance notice, we could travel thousands of
miles in good time to arrive just when we are needed.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, New Mexico