msar-riders - [MSAR] New Mexico's PACE/ICS-100 certification

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: MSAR Riders <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] New Mexico's PACE/ICS-100 certification
  • Date: Tue Feb 4 16:27:01 2003

Someone wrote:

>What is pace/ics-100 certified? We are just starting this and
>our first step so far is to receive first aid and cpr training.
>Can you tell me what is required?

ICS is Incident Command System. That is the organizational
structure used to run SAR missions in New Mexico (and many
other places). ICS-100 is the introductory training document
for ICS, and in New Mexico SAR volunteers are tested on it.
The test is open book. PACE is a committee in New Mexico
that wrote a basic SAR training manual. It covers all the
basics of SAR: using radios, your personal safety while on
a search, search methods, use of map and compass. In New
Mexico, SAR volunteers are tested on this too. The test is
multiple choice. These two tests are given together with a
very minimal test of your use of a compass, and inspection
of your personal SAR pack.

The next announced PACE/ICS-100 exam will be February 22 in
Santa Fe. Directions and copies of all the study materials
are on http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/santafe/PACE.html.

Una Smith

  • [MSAR] New Mexico's PACE/ICS-100 certification, Una Smith, 02/04/2003