msar-riders - [MSAR] ICS and SAR group structure

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Paul Fleming <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] ICS and SAR group structure
  • Date: Tue Feb 4 15:31:00 2003

There isn't much need for support in an MSAR group; unless they
already have SAR skills, non-riders are a lot of work and someone
who does have SAR skills needs to stay with them.

Take a horse trailer up a unfamiliar narrow mountain logging road in the snow at night to get to a search area, then tell me it isn't necessary to have a support vehicle safety check the road first and locate any turn around points or parking areas. These unnecessary people in our unit run the base camp, also maintain a radio relay communications link between base camp and search teams. Move trailers to pick up and re deploy teams. Sometimes they even bring hot coffee to the search teams. The support folks increase the search teams effectiveness by at least 50%.

Paul Fleming
Training Officer
Peninsula Mounted Search And Rescue
Regards