msar-riders - [MSAR] CA MSAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "MSAR-L" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] CA MSAR standards
  • Date: Sat Dec 21 17:49:00 2002

An update as promised ...
Apparently there is currently nothing actually written and distributed at the state level regarding MSAR standards ... just "train the local trainers" in the field, with Kathy Roberts [last I heard] the primary OES MSAR instructor. (Kathy Roberts is the author of the two MSAR manuals available through NASAR, and presumably her courses are based on the published material. The manual addressing training is titled Mounted Training.)

So ... my county's SAR Coordinator has asked me to come up with written MSAR standards to submit as a proposal at the next statewide meeting hosted by OES. He figures that will generate a committee to address defining at least statewide guidelines for MSAR in CA. Then locally we'll meet or exceed whatever the end result is for statewide MSAR guidelines.

My mental very rough draft has about 4 different types of MSAR responders, with terrain, weather, and remoteness of the SAR as major factors in defining the different minimum training requirements and gear for each level of MSAR Type. We'll see what evolves when I actually lay everything out in text and identify specifics. I'll also need to make it fit with the new CA general SAR guidelines, since MSAR riders will also need to meet at least minimum general SAR groundpounder standards. And the minimum required general SAR level would need to relate to the level of MSAR. (MSAR Type 2 needs to be at least a SAR Type 2 ... or something.)

This will be a real interesting challenge to create puzzle pieces that match! And somewehere in there I'd like to provide some education to IC and Operations regarding MSAR capabilities, limitations, field needs (like water for the horses in the assigned search area!), base camp / Logistics requirements to provide for livestock needs on a prolonged SAR, etc.

When I get to that project I'd be willing to share my statewide MSAR proposal with anyone interested.

Anybody else out there on 18 hour work days??? Somehow this weekend I need to get Christmas decorations up and packages wrapped! Before the end of the year I need to rebuild my desktop computer, then build a network, and have everything ready again to transmit live images online from the foaling stall cameras. I have a presentation to create in Power Point for Backcountry Horseman new officer training in mid-January. Red Cross now wants to groom me to become a team leader for my local disaster response area - more training weekends added to my calendar. My county SAR coordinator wants me to prepare statewide proposals on 2 SAR subjects (MSAR standards, and using barcode scanning on SAR photo IDs.)  I'm currently eyebrow deep writing up proposed new general SAR standards for my county. And that's the short list. <g> Hey, at least my daughter is out of the hospital and I no longer have the grandkids! Now if I could just find that formula so I could clone myself ... LOL!

Hope y'all have happy holidays!

~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare County, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, USAR

  • [MSAR] CA MSAR standards, Jorene Downs, 12/21/2002