microid - Re: [Microid] MicroID discussion from IIW2006b

microid AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Fred Stutzman <fred AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Terrell Russell <terrellrussell AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: microid AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Microid] MicroID discussion from IIW2006b
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:24:41 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Terrell Russell wrote:

Option 2) Just publish the OpenID itself (no hashing)

or
<link rel="openid" href="http://mysite.com/";>

The question was simply - why would I implement a MicroID if I'm already
using OpenIDs on my site? Isn't the point of the hashing the
obfuscation of the communication identifier (to prevent spam)? Isn't it
unnecessary if the communication identifier is just a URL?

Preventing spam is only one part of it. The real reason is creating a flexible, scalable namespace. If you use an email or a URL or an i-name or a carspace or whatever, you have to define a namepsace for each. With the hash, you can still have all your different identifiers, but everyone speaks the same language cause all you have to expect is a hash. This is truly KISS design and I think we need to keep it that way so microid can remain scalable.

I think the answer is, simply, we need to stick to a simple spec - and
that publishing the fact that a user has a particular OpenID falls
outside of the scope of a MicroID spec. There is nothing stopping the
greater web community from deciding to publish something like Option 2
above - but that would not be a MicroID - it would simply be the formal
publication and broadcast of the fact that a page was
owned/operated/edited by a particular user with a particular OpenID.

Right...that wouldn't be a microid.

Thoughts?

Terrell
http://claimID.com