market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What percent of your time do you spend weeding?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What percent of your time do you spend weeding?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 22:19:41 -0400

On Apr 6, 2016, at 10:13 PM, Beth Spaugh wrote:

Don't know the time, but I quickly figured that putting ground cloth between plastic beds really pays for itself in saved labor.

I have widely spaced plastic beds (where I have plastic beds at all; I only use it for some crops) and I cultivate aisles with disc and then cover crop and mow; and I've discovered that with a bit of care I can also mow over the plastic edges until the crop overlaps the edges, after which point it's generally less necessary.

Actually weeding the edges does do a better job; but it takes a whole lot longer.