market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] sweet corn

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] sweet corn
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 02:43:31 +0000

I think it might be better to hear from folks in your region about specific
varieties Beth. But I don't think the varieties need to be sh2. The se types
or synergistic types will do well. They all hold well after harvest if you
can keep them cool and out of the sunshine. They hold pretty well on the
plant as well. Most sweet corn producers harvest every day, or every other
day, but that is because their market demands it. The tricky part will be
getting specific plantings to be at their prime on the specific
day-of-the-week you hand off to your CSA customers. Heat unit development can
create odd spreading of maturities in sweet corn sometimes. That problem may
not be as bad in New England as it is in the Midwest or Great Plains states.
See if some of the growers near you, or your seed folks, can help you address
variety choice and staggered plantings.

Bill
William H. Shoemaker
Retired fruit and vegetable horticulturist
University of Illinois
wshoemak AT illinois.edu