market-farming - [Market-farming] 1 or (preferably) 2 Volunteer Positions at Roots Farm, Dominica

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] 1 or (preferably) 2 Volunteer Positions at Roots Farm, Dominica
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 12:34:25 -0400

Roots Farm
Cochrane, Dominica
767-449-3038 before 7 P.M.
karen AT rootsfarm.info

1 or (preferably) 2 Volunteer Positions at Roots Farm, Dominica

Not certified but using organic standards, Roots Farm grows diverse fruits, roots, vegetables and herbs at two lovely mountainside locations in Cochrane, Dominica for predominantly retail sales within Dominica.    Located in a rain forested area at approximately 1600-1700’ above sea level, we enjoy a breezy, cooler climate than the coastal lands below (but at times too much rain and wind for best production).  One of the sites is mostly slopey land; the other mostly flat.  Our past specialty has been Asian and other ethnic varieties with special culinary or healthful properties, but vegetable and herb production has proven too labor intensive and labor supply too difficult to access reliably so we are transitioning to emphasis on fruits and roots, aiming for some semblance of a food forest type model.  We do not raise animals for slaughter but may add chickens for eggs and manure or worms.  Most farm work is done by hand using cutlass, although we also use a weed whacker to help control the rampant grass and vine growth.

Dominica is breathtakingly beautiful, mostly wild, healthy, safe.  Also, economically poor.  Great music.   Friendly, welcoming people.  Sweet clean uncontaminated air and water.  Rainforests, mountains, rivers, waterfalls, rainbows, velvet nights, parrots, whales, so much more.  English speaking with a French/African Creole also widely spoken.  Cuisine with, thankfully, some French influence.   Incredible fresh fish and fruit, as well as our own wonderful produce.

We would prefer 2 volunteers,  as we are too busy to be much in the way of company and you would likely want a friend with whom to explore/enjoy the island, share meals, etc.  Ideally, your stay here would be no less than 4 weeks, starting soon, and could stretch out to ……?   But if a later start is of interest, please do contact us as help is welcome most anytime of year.

Specifically, Roots Farm provides:

Place:  Bedroom(s) in furnished/equipped 2 bedroom (MCS safe) apartment in ground floor of our house.  All electric, water, cooking gas, wireless Internet connection, linens, towels (except NOT beach towels) included.  For more information, including Google Earth link, see:  https://www.facebook.com/RootsFarmGuestApartment?ref_type=bookmark

Food:  Fresh vegetables, roots, herbs & fruits grown on farm, as available and not needed for market.  Nonfarm items your responsibility.  Our own cooking/meals are kinda fractured so you'll be preparing/enjoying your own meals most of the time.  Imported products are very expensive in Dominica.  If you can enjoy eating local, should be relatively minimal expense; if you need imported  “food products,” expenses will mount up.

Work:  All phases of farm operation of interest and within your capacities -- including planting, weeding, weeding, weeding, -- did I say weeding yet? -- pest control (organic), trellis erection/maintenance, picking, preparation for market, help at market.  Also possible involvement in such projects as establishing poultry egg&manure capacity, vermiculture, value-added offerings, establishing permaculture guilds, etc. (IF you are knowledgeable and experienced in tropical permaculture plants and conditions).  May also (rarely) need help with household chores, improvements and dogs & cats.  (We have 3 dogs, 3 cats.  Cats live up with us and not allowed in your apt. in case someone visits with allergies.  Dogs are guard dogs, live outside and will take a while to get to know you and stop talking about you whenever they see you, but once they get it that you're a pack member, will be sweet.)    Anything distasteful to you (other than helping with market prep) can be turned down as there’s plenty else to do.

You provide:

30 cheerful but serious hours work per week
fragrance free, no synthetic chemical/pesticide/etc. presence
keep apt clean (In tropics, prevention of insect, mouse/rat or mold problems depends on strict attention to cleanliness.)
be reasonably quiet (no loud radio/music.  Apt doesn't have tv)

There are enough local  "charmers" with ulterior motives of burglary that we will ask that you not bring newfound "friends" back "home" here with you.  If female, you will likely find that this restriction will be a handy and welcome excuse from unwanted attention (and you will get lots of attention.   Although very safe here, the constant ardency (is that a word?) of the young men does get tiring.)

We both provide the other with:

respect, care, humor, wish to help, willingness to consider differences from all sides, open honest communication and striving for win-win in all circumstances

A little more about us:  Roots Farm is owned and operated by my partner Roy, a native Dominican, and myself, originally from S.Hadley, MA, U.S., but living in Dominica for past 17 years.  We also are lucky to have Gary's help, a full-time farmworker from Haiti and the part time  help of Davis, from Cochrane village and farmer in his own right.  We are just pulling out from a very difficult period where first disease (tristesia) wiped out 6-8 acres of citrus trees, followed by weather devastations and even problems from ash from Monserrat volcanic eruption.  Hurricanes and climate change unpredictabilities and intensification of ordinary seasonal changes are probably our biggest challenge.  We sell via email subscription to eco-inns, restaurants and individuals, to the general public at Saturday market at Roseau, and occasionally also to vendors or supermarkets or hucksters (exporters of produce).  Changing market conditions, birds and lack of local certification represent other serious challenges.

If interested, do some initial research re Dominica (not Dominican Republic), then please email, including:
What you hope to get out of your volunteer experience and what your longer range goals & dreams are;
What is important to you as a person?  What drives you?  makes you happy?  is intolerable?
What skills, experience and interests you would bring to Roots Farm
Anything else you would like us to know about you as a person or as potential worker
Whether you can be happily 100% fragrance-, synthetic chemical- and tobacco-free (including ZERO fragrances in deodorant, laundry detergent, personal products, etc.)
When would you want your stay here to start and end
What else you would like to know about us, the farm or Dominica.

Thanks and Best Wishes,

Karen Sutherland

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA
767-449-3038 (before 7 P.M.)

  • [Market-farming] 1 or (preferably) 2 Volunteer Positions at Roots Farm, Dominica, Roots Farm, 12/01/2014