market-farming - [Market-farming] ?'s about growing Jicama

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Western Massachusetts Permaculture Guild <westernmapermacultureguild AT lists.thepine.org>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] ?'s about growing Jicama
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:27:28 -0400

Instructions I have seen for growing Jicama say to clip off all flowers so tuber production is prioritized.  Well, my Jicama planting (on trellis)  in Dominica is a jungle unto itself.  Rampant vines grow unbelievably fast -- seems like more than a foot in a day.  Flower buds popping up everywhere in the tangle.  Anyone had experience with growing jicama?  Can the vines be clipped, as well as the flowers, without losing productivity?  Any other advice or observations?

Thanks and best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA
767-449-3038 (before 7 P.M.)

  • [Market-farming] ?'s about growing Jicama, Roots Farm, 08/24/2014