market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Insurance for the trailers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Insurance for the trailers
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:23:45 -0400

Michelle,
I'll be loading compost today, for a 30-mile trip back home.  A week ago I had a trailer 'mishap', but fortunately no injury to me or truck/trailer, and all made it home OK.

Got me thinking about options.  Got estimates last weekend from previous guys who hauled and spread compost on our pastures; compost we also use on cultivated ground.
Then talked with a neighbor who hauls/logs/digs, etc. Was a more leisurely Sunday afternoon conversation, where he gradually shared of a huge pile of compost, free for hauling, only 4 miles away.  And the reality that I could buy a spreader for the price of one year's worth of paying others do it all when hauling from 30 miles away.  My time is also an issue, but this creative neighbor, who makes a living doing more with less, is asking me to think closer to home.

Don't know if any of the above fits your situation, but sharing your needs/challenges with enough people might scare up more options.  Which is what you're doing now!

Richard Moyer
SW VA

To all on the list -?
Have you had any experiences hauling a trailer with material or equipment and broken down?
I have several times.

I have had AAA Premium. But they don't cover me. Just got off the phone with them (again). So my questions were not answered...again.

So what do you do?
?
I need to be able to move a dump trailer with compost form point a to point b. Maybe 150 to 200 miles (mostly 150 miles). I need to go pick up farm equipment in another state maybe 500 or 600 miles away. Yes I habve the dually and the trailer. But what if i break down with a new or slightly used tractor?

What would you do? Would you pay to move things? What companies out there would cover me?

I am curious to know what the list knows.?

Michelle Hromyak
Romy Farms
SC E & W