market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bed formers / Side Dressers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bed formers / Side Dressers
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 20:29:19 -0500

Buckeye makes a good bedder for the money new. . .

The type I have worked with a couple times are usually IH Super
A/140/274 mounted with mechanical metering and drop tube(s). Last
summer I fabricated a mount so one unit would mount on both a 3pt
cultivator and an imants spader. It was driven by an electric motor.
The concept wasn't my idea, but I had fun building it. Stuff the
consistency of alfalfa meal/fertrel, soy meal, processed chicken will
not feed worth a hoot unless the tube is vertical. . . helps to ziptie
it to the endpoint. . . consider changing hoses to that clear tubing
they sell at lowes. . . or running it vertically to (oversized!) pvc
conduit that can be bent to suit. If you are lucky it will split at the
spill point.

Also consider beefing up the agitator if necessary.

Side dressers are fine, the tubes are the problem with organics. . . any
twist or turn with the tube and it will get jammed. Put a Y in it and
the problem will likely double.

Hope that helps. . .

John