market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Do Trees Communicate?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Do Trees Communicate?
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:51:44 -0400

Also got this wonderful reply from someone on another list.

I wonder if Dr. Simard knows Joan Maloof, her counterpart from the University of Salisbury, in Maryland, who writes about the research being done to isolate the compounds in the air of old growth forests and determines their benefits to health and wellbeing. It's common knowledge that plants breathe in CO2 and give off O2, but there are all these other compounds, um, in the same breath, that are being isolated and studied for their properties. Some of the compounds are there in younger forests, but they are there in full measure in OG forests, and behave synergistically.  Maybe that's why the first thing you do when you get into the forest is take a deep breath.

I learned that aspen forests are actually colonies of trees, as are sumac, not unlike what Dr Simard is saying.

Magic abounds …

Here's Joan Maloof's essay "Old Growth Air".  http://www.druidry.org/library/trees/old-growth-air
Here's her lecture "Old Growth Forest Network".   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjR161SilSg

We know that breathing in chemicals, whether they be the lab kind or naturally produced, can be harmful or helpful (although often below our (learned) level of awareness).  It makes sense to me that trees and other exhaling life forms might be affecting me/others similarly.  WOW!  Love it.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs