market-farming - [Market-farming] Position for Director of Farm and Land Development in Central Kentucky

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Position for Director of Farm and Land Development in Central Kentucky
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:37:59 -0500

Posting the following announcement, please contact them directly

Position: Director of Farm and Land Development
Location: Central Kentucky
Employer: Loretto Motherhouse in Nerinx, Kentucky
Salary: $35,000-$45,000 plus benefits
Starting date: Fall/Winter 2013

Loretto Motherhouse is the traditional “home place” for the Sisters of Loretto, and a spiritual center for the broader Loretto Community, ‘which seeks to praise God and serve the near and farther neighbor by educating ourselves and others in the ways of peace and justice.’

The Loretto Motherhouse property has been a working farm from the time Reverend Stephen Badin purchased the land in 1796 and named it St. Stephen’s Farm. It became home to the Sisters of Loretto in 1824, the center from which Loretto sent teachers to the western frontier and, later as far as China, South America, Africa, and Pakistan. The 788-acre property today is the permanent home for about 100 sisters and co-members and includes the farm, a licensed long term care facility, residential buildings, and two retreat centers. As much as possible, the Community’s spiritual values guide our decision-making and planning at the Motherhouse.

The Loretto Community Land Ethic, a statement of values affirmed by the entire Community in 2006, recognizes land as a gift and sign of God and expresses our commitment to tend the land in such a way that “all life is enhanced and protected, and that the variety of ecosystems is sustained.”

Land Use and Farm:

The current farm engages one full-time farmer in raising commodity crops, managing a cow-calf operation, and supervising various conservation practices. The farm has a well developed infrastructure and modern machinery appropriate for current operations. We have engaged in government-supported conservation practices for about 40 years, principally the Timber Stand Improvement Program and establishment of riparian buffers. In 2012, seventy-five acres of land were enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program and were planted in hardwoods, pollinator habitat and native grasses. We are within ten miles of the new Wendell Berry Center at St. Catharine College, Springfield KY, where we expect to form solid collaborations as the Center develops.

Summary of Loretto Motherhouse Property: 788 acres
http://www.lorettocommunity.org/who-we-are/loretto-motherhouse/motherhouse-farm-and-land/

The Position of Director of Farm and Land Development

The Director will be an agriculture professional who shares our values and has the training and experience to make those values a practical reality at Loretto Motherhouse. He or she will help us move forward in implementing our values regarding 760 acres of our farm and land, while also carrying out the day-to-day farm operations.

As one part of the Loretto Community long term planning process for the Motherhouse, we anticipate exploring a diverse set of possibilities for our land. The exploration of possibilities is an important part of this position and will provide essential information for Community planning.

Essential Functions of the Director of Farm and Land Development. The Director will work in close collaboration with the Motherhouse Service Coordinator and the Motherhouse Coordinating Board, and in a manner consistent with Loretto’s Land Ethic.

The Director will:
-- Perform the daily work of the current farm operation, while taking steps to implement practices that are more sustainable;
-- Contribute to the development of a long-term plan;
-- Implement the long-term plan, as applicable;
-- Supervise or manage workers (temporary, part-time, or volunteer workers)

Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate

In the area of farming, the Director should demonstrate:
*Extensive experience in land and farm operations and management
*A firm commitment to sustainable land use compatible with the Loretto Land Use Ethic;
*Training and proven competence in crop and cattle production, management and marketing;
*Training and proven competence in sustainable alternatives for farm and land use;
*Capacity to handle the physical demands of daily farm work;
*Competence in maintaining farm equipment, fencing, and farm buildings as well as in operating a variety of farm machinery;
*Willingness and experience in collaborating with knowledgeable individuals in the local farm community, universities and government agriculture agencies;

In the area of management:
*Computer literacy and Internet research skills;
*Training and proven competence in financial planning, computer-based budgeting, and financial analysis of farming operations;
*Initiative and proven skill in pursuing partnerships, networks, and funding sources for innovative farm and land practices;
*Experience as an educator preferred;

Additional Qualification
*Ability to think creatively;
*Strength in implementing and evaluating progress toward long-term goals;
*Highly self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision;
*Proven ability to collaborate effectively with a variety of people and committees.

To apply, send resume and cover letter to farmposition AT gmail.com
Screening of applications will begin November 15, 2013, and will continue until a suitable applicant is found.
For further information, go to http://www.lorettocommunity.org/motherhouse/

  • [Market-farming] Position for Director of Farm and Land Development in Central Kentucky, Steve Diver, 10/04/2013