market-farming - [Market-farming] tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rob Wallbridge" <rob AT songberry.ca>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tractors
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 10:57:40 -0400

Hi all,

It looks like I’m going to be able to invest in a tractor soon, and I’d like some feedback and advice and what to look for, makes and models to consider or avoid, additional considerations, etc. We’ve got a FarmAll Super A for cultivation and a 30hp 4WD Kubota which has been over primary tractor. What we’ve been mostly lacking has been a front-end loader for the myriad of tasks one of those can accomplish. The Kubota is also a little small to handle our mulch layer and waterwheel transplanter, and I’d like something with the capacity to unload pallets if needed, so I’ve considered moving up to something in the 50hp range. At the same time, my budget is limited (~$10K), so I’m definitely looking at older used models, and after scanning some dealer ads, this doesn’t seem unreasonable.

There you have it – any and all input is welcomed!

Thanks,

Rob

Rob Wallbridge

Songberry Organic Farm