market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sustainable Agriculture Tool Lending Library

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kakerby <kakerby AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sustainable Agriculture Tool Lending Library
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 14:49:43 -0400 (EDT)

We have developed something of a lending relationship with a nearby museum, not because we intended to but because they had what we needed.  And they were willing to talk to us about using that equipment in some meaningful way, as part of their ongoing educational work.  So from our end, we've gotten an old baler from them that will work with our small tractor, where a lot of modern balers would be too big.  We're borrowing a few other pieces from them, and either making donations to the museum in trade, and/or buying them outright from the museum when they've got more than one of those pieces of equipment.  We're also going to do some video work this summer so that they can show visitors how that older equipment is still in use, and still so valuable today.  It's really turned into a win/win because it helps both parties do the work we/they were already doing.  I have wondered if perhaps other museums would be open to the same idea.  Can't hurt to ask; the worst they can do is say "no".  But maybe they'll say "let's talk about it."

For your purposes, perhaps hook up with a nearby heritage museum and talk about how you'd like to team up with young/new farmers to make that equipment available, and perhaps they could lend their networking and educational connections towards that end.  You have the implements but they may have the sheer "know someone who knows someone" connections to really help that idea take off.
Kathryn Kerby
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA