market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmall tractor

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmall tractor
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:09:00 -0400

Good evening everyone,

This season, I want to try my hand at mechanizing some of the weeding.
I've got my eyes on two old Farmall in my area, a Cub and a Super A.
Both are equipped with a Buddhing. I have never worked with any of
these machines before.

Firstly, I am working on 6" raised beds, 60" center-to-center, with
about 36" bed tops. I understand the Cub is limited on the bed width it
can straddle to about 36", so it might be a little tight for my system.
I guess the Super A might be better suited for the spacing I have here.

Secondly, I wonder how well these works with raised beds. The ground
clearance is good, that is not the problem. I am more concerned about
the height adjustment of the toolbar. How well does that work with
raised beds?

Finally, I understand the buddhing perform best on a perfectly flat bed.
Mine aren't. My field is not perfectly flat, and my bedding system is
still being perfected, so the bed height can vary by an inch or two in
places. Is using the buddhing hopeless in these conditions?

Thanks for any insight you care to share.

--
Etienne Goyer - Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com