market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: David Paysnick <davepays AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Ginger, Alternatives for Planting
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 19:26:50 -0500

Almost, if not all, of the organic ginger in the US is from Peru or Hawaii.  The Hawaiian has larger, fatter hands (all commercial varieties seem to) than peruvian and tends to have milder (less spicy) and more floral flavor.  I have not heard of the Peruvian type (always yellow in my experience) being grown successfully in the states, at least not central, north or Atlantic states.

David Paysnick
Rainbow Harvest Farms