market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting Garlic Into Living Oats, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lori sands <tchfrch AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting Garlic Into Living Oats, etc.
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:28:56 -0400

We tried this a few years back as a 'big' local  garlic grower always does this.   We sowed the oats 4 weeks before, and just opened holes to plant. It worked ok, but I remember having a harder time harvesting the bulbs with the the turf-like killed cover surrounding them.  I think it was our lack of expertise with this method more than problems with the method.
We are back to our regular deep-mulch-with-straw method.

Lori Sands
western PA