market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] selling cut sunflowers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] selling cut sunflowers
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 14:43:45 -0400

I grow the ProCut and Sunrich series. Sell for $1 each.  Another vendor sells for more, but she is fancy.  Early on plastic on 6” centers that is still $4/square foot so I think plenty profitable at that price.  Drilled late season, 36” between rows, probably have 8 to 12 per row foot, so still plenty profitable.  And SOOO easy to harvest and prep.  I walk down the row stripping leaves off stalks that have flowers at least ΒΌ open.  Then come back and cut the stripped stems. I generally cut with at least 30” stem, sometimes longer, but it is harder to transport that way.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

It's not that nice guys finish last. They have a whole different notion where the finish line is. - unkonown