market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] flea beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] flea beetles
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 08:40:41 -0400

I was reviewing papers years ago about controlling harlequins. In one
paper, trap cropping was focused on. Bottom line: there are two
mustards that put out more of the scent that attracts brassica
herbivores than any standard food crops. If you plant those mustards,
the pests will gravitate to them and you can torch them at some point.
Of course, I forgot the names of those cultivars and, of course, can't
locate that paper. It's probably enough to know that most of these
pests prefer mustards to kales and it's probably enough to know that
if you plant them in proximity to each other they will do even better.

-Allan in WV who better start seeding mustard really soon