market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Surviving the June 29 Derecho

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Surviving the June 29 Derecho
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 12:10:23 +0000

It started not far from here in West Chicago, which is about 40 miles straight west of the big city. It is an old town with lots of very old oak trees. Many of them were blown down by the winds, which were estimated at 90 mph at times. I know of no growers who were impacted, but the power was off for some folks for a week (and it got very hot!), and major highways were so littered with debris it took more than 48 hours to get some of them opened up. I worry that this is going to happen more often with the voliatility between extremes being a result of climate change.

So Marlin, if you decide to forward with your Rolling Thunder tunnel, I think the anchors will be cheap insurance. The structure should be viable for 20+ years, so the risk of a repeat event is considerable. And best wishes for a full recovery from the Lyme's disease infection.

Bill

William H. Shoemaker

University of Illinois, Crop Sciences

St Charles Horticulture Research Center