market-farming - [Market-farming] Tractor Tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tractor Tillers
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 06:59:04 -0400

Does anyone have experience with "Value Leader" farm equipment? Their
tiller is made in China, but they claim to have thousands of them sold
in the US and to keep a good parts inventory.
http://www.value-leader.com/categories/Tiller/

Tillers are really expensive nowadays. These sure look good on youtube! ;-)

Oh, and they have 'free shipping' (and no sales tax!)

On the other hand, the reason I need a new tiller is that my old
friend the Solvema, which must be 30 years old, lost the drive rotor
bearing yesterday. Solvema told me that it was going to be expensive
to buy the parts to repair it and I should consider if the repaired
tiller w.b. worth the $$s. He didn't give me a price but implied it
w.b. around $600 for bearing(s), seals, chain cover, etc

The question: have you ever replaced a rotor bearing on a heavy duty
tiller? It means almost total disassembly and a trip to the machine
shop for pressing the bearings out of the housing(s) Not something I
want to tackle in June but I'm wondering if Im being too easy on
myself? On the other hand, this machine has seen a lot of clod
miles....

Thanks

-Allan in WV