market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wasps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wasps
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 20:04:46 -0500

On May 30, 2012, at 1:17 PMMay/30/12, Carol Moss wrote:

> Wasps and dirt dobbers will not build nests there because it fools them
> into seeing
> sky or water.

Great tip, Carol. Do you know if this works for barn swallows? They return
every year to try to nest on our back porch, and we are trying to encourage
them to build in a more agreeable location for everybody. We've boarded off
the eaves so they are flush, so there is no ledge for them, but they still
manage to build on the flush boards.

We love the birds and welcome seeing the flight lessons they give the
fledglings off of our roof each season, but not the constant dive-bombing and
mess as we step out the back door. There are apparently many ideal nesting
locations for them around, as we always have a good population of them
working our property. Anybody know if the paint works for birds? I have the
paint, but I also have too many projects and not enough time to do them all.
Was hoping to hear from experience.

Laurie
Barking Cat Farm