market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato transplant disaster!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato transplant disaster!
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 08:37:38 -0700

Found this at www.potatodiseases.org/pdf/rhizoctonia-bulletin.pdf

"Rhizoctonia solani has many synonyms and is divided into subgroups called anastomisis groups (AGs), in which isolates are categorized according to the ability of their hyphae to anostomose (fuse) with one another.  Three AGs of R. solani are prevalent in Michigan: AG2-2, AG-3 and AG-4.  AG-3 is the causal agent of disease in potato; AG2-2 and AG-4 cause sugar beet crown root rot and seedling damping off, respectively."

Maybe T-22 will help your tomatoes that have not already succumbed.  I use T-22 (Trichoderma harzianum) (Plantshield HC or Rootshield Home and Garden) against black scurf, evidently AG-3, on my potatoes--also labeled for seed treatments and root-dipping.  Rivka said it is restricted for organic use. (contact your certifier). Johnny's lists 6 states it can't ship it to, but when I ordered, they told me Idaho was not on the list of the 13 states they can ship to.

Fedco can dropship Plantshield ($200/3lb) (and I assume Rootshield --$14.50/4oz in a different formulation).
        http://www.fedcoseeds.com/ogs/search.php?item=8858&search=rootshield
I am told by an old spud grower here that the 3lb box is at least enough for seed potatoes to plant 10 or 15 acres.

Vern