market-farming - [Market-farming] Harlequin bugs, revisited

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Harlequin bugs, revisited
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:17:29 -0500

What organic methods have anybody found that works against
harlequin bugs?

We got some of that new ORMI-approved Azera (pyganic + azadirachitn)
and it appears to be really effective for squash bugs and flea beetles,
also cucumber beetles, but we only use as a last resort due to it
expense -- similar to Entrust.

Azera appears to knock harlequin bugs down, but then 90% get up
and start moving around after 20 minutes.

I think we have the Pyganic 1.4. Would the Pyganic 5.0 make
a difference?

As soon as the brassicas/arugula are gone I don't see harlequin
bugs hanging around on summer crops, but there is a window
of infestation in spring when they cause a headache.

Steve Diver
Texas